Getting a dental x-ray usually means having to spend hours at the dentist’s office. So too was getting a crown, though it arguably took longer as the process usually took many days, or even weeks. The good thing is that dental technology has improved by a whole lot over the past few years, making it possible to drastically cut down the waiting time for many dental procedures, crowns included.
What’s being talked about here is CEREC, a technology that allows dentists to fix teeth in as short as one hour!
What is CEREC?
CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restorations of Esthetic Ceramic. It utilizes photographs of your dental structure to create an accurate 3-D digital model that makes it easier for dentists to identify how dental appliances, such as crowns, may fit and significantly cuts down on the time it takes to create an impression.
Right there in the dentist’s office, they can take an impression of your dental structure and produce a high-quality product. This means that procedures that took days and even weeks at a time can now all be done in a single visit!
Now, isn’t that convenient?
Fast results aren’t the only thing that CEREC brings to the table while improving upon traditional methods. CEREC also has a few other benefits, namely:
- Superior quality results. The resulting 3D digital imaging is far superior than the X-rays that have been traditionally used. The improved viewing angles allow dentists to create a dental appliance that has a better fit in your mouth.
- Immediate, permanent results. When it came crowns, the process usually required patients to be fitted with a temporary crown as the permanent one was being made. This made it hard to make sure that they fit perfectly and the multiple visits to the dentist were definitely a huge hassle. CEREC solves both problems by not only making sure that the dental piece has a good fit, but can also be fitted immediately without compromising quality.
- No need for impressions. Plenty of dental appliances, including crowns, require patients to have impressions of their teeth taken first using a slightly gross elastic material. CEREC eliminates the need for that, thanks to its digital technology.
- High-quality, non-invasive results. The products produced by CEREC, such as tooth-colored overlays, blend perfectly with your natural teeth and are almost indistinguishable. The resulting products are also very durable and the procedure is non-invasive.
- Safer than traditional methods. CEREC eliminates cracking thanks to its use of ceramic material that expands and contracts naturally with your original teeth. The ceramic also mimics how solid your original teeth feel and lasts much longer. As an added bonus, the material used makes CEREC safe from the possible harm caused by the use of mercury and other toxic materials in traditional fillings and crowns.
Safe, reliable, fast and most important of all, effective, CEREC technology definitely brings a lot to the table.
If you’re looking to improve your oral health or simply the esthetics of your teeth and smile, make sure that consult your dentist about possibly taking advantage of what CEREC technology has to offer.
If you’re interested in CEREC Technology, contact Dr. Chris Johns DDS in Milbrae, CA at 609-697-2073to schedule a consultation today or visit his website at www.chrisjohnsdds.com to learn more about dental appliance treatments.
Dr. Chris Johns proudly accepts patients from Milbrae, San Francisco, San Mateo, Burlingame, San Carlos, and surrounding areas.