Did you know August is the proud owner of National Smile Week? It’s true. And some of our favorite things about a person is their smile. But what if your grin isn’t as white as it could be? No matter what your daily hygiene entails, teeth still get stained and discolored. The best way to help your stained discolored teeth get back to pearly white status is professional teeth whitening.
There are multiple reasons our teeth can become dingy looking. It isn’t exactly because we aren’t taking care of our teeth on a daily basis, but more due to certain habits we may have picked up in our daily lives. Some causes of discolored teeth are:
- Tetracycline based antibiotics used before the age of 8 years old
- Excessive exposure to fluoride as a child
- Internal bleeding due to trauma
- Discoloration due to a health condition
- Natural aging- as time goes by enamel gets thinner and thinner and will get a yellowish hue
But there really is no need to worry. There are plenty of little things we can do to make it tougher for our teeth to become tinged. To stop the yellowing process, try doing some of these:
- Visit your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings
- Rinse your mouth out with water several times throughout the day
- Use toothpaste with whitening agents
- Try not to consume foods and drinks that can naturally tinge your teeth, like wine and beets
- Quit smoking
To learn more about teeth whitening, contact Dr. Johns at 650-697-2073 or visit his website at www.chrisjohnsdds.com.
Dr. Johns also proudly accepts patients from Millbrae, San Francisco, San Mateo, Burlingame, Belmont, San Carlos, and surrounding areas.