Are your teeth becoming increasingly yellow and stained as time goes on? Does it cause you to cringe when asked to take a photo? Are you confused why they are turning this way because you keep up with your dental hygiene? Believe it or not, teeth still get stained and discolored. And who wants to walk around with a dingy smile? To get it back to a bright shade of white, a professional teeth whitening is in order.
But there are multiple reasons our teeth can become dingy looking. It isn’t exactly because we aren’t taking care of our teeth on a daily basis, but more due to certain habits we may have picked up in our daily lives. Some causes of discolored teeth are:
- Tetracycline based antibiotics used before the age of 8 years old
- Excessive exposure to fluoride as a child
- Internal bleeding due to trauma
- Discoloration due to a health condition
- Natural aging- as time goes by enamel gets thinner and thinner and will get a yellowish hue
But there is no need to worry, because there are plenty of little things we can do to make it tougher for our teeth to become tinged. To stop the yellowing process, try some of the following:
- Visit your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings
- Rinse your mouth out with water several times throughout the day
- Use toothpaste with whitening agents
- Try not to consume foods and drinks that can naturally tinge your teeth, like wine and beets
- Quit smoking
To learn more about the causes of yellowing teeth, contact Dr. Johns at 650-697-2073 or visit his website at www.chrisjohnsdds.com.
Dr. Johns also proudly accepts patients from Millbrae and all surrounding areas.